What To Do When a Loved One Passes Away | Johnson Hobbs Squires LLP
Johnson Hobbs Squires LLP Menu Contact
Johnson Hobbs Squires
Request a Free Consultation 254-633-3011
Experience. Leadership. Results.

What To Do When a Loved One Passes Away

Thumbnail image for 16360-woman at coffin.jpgWhether your spouse has just passed away or you have lost your mom or dad, the emotional trauma of losing a loved one often comes with a bewildering array of financial and legal issues demanding attention. It can be difficult enough for family members to handle the emotional trauma of a death, let alone taking the steps necessary to get these matters in order.

If you are the executor of the will, is important that you and your family have time to grieve, but, when you are ready, you should meet with an attorney to review the steps necessary for administration. While the exact rules differ from state to state, the key actions in Texas include:

  • Filing the will and petition in probate court in order to be appointed executor;
  • Collecting the assets (i.e. finding out about everything the deceased owned and filing a list of inventory with the court);
  • Paying the debts; and
  • Distributing property to the heirs.

If you've recently lost a loved one and don't know where to turn, call Johnson Hobbs Squires LLP at 254-732-2242 or send us an email.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

An Efficient Full-Service Law Firm

For a free initial consultation about your legal matter, contact our team of attorneys at 254-633-3011 or by filling out this short contact form.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy